HIIT training, or high intensity interval training, is getting a lot of press right now, and rightfully so. If you have not heard about this style of working out, all you need to know is that it's essentially short bursts of all out effort followed by a short recovery. These workouts are intense (thus the name) so they're typically only around 20 minutes in length.
So why are HIIT workouts so great?
- HIIT promotes production of human growth hormone, or the "fitness hormone" (I've even heard it called the fountain of youth). This is something we typically don't see with conventional cardio. Amazing!
- Decreases body fat, and improves aerobic power.
- Improved blood sugar regulation. Great news for those that are dealing with type 2 diabetes, or have become insulin resistant.
- HIIT can be done anywhere!
- No equipment needed.
- Only takes around 20 minutes
Killer HIIT Workout
What you need: jump rope, set of dumbbells, yoga mat, something to jump on (bench, or even a large step would work), interval timer ( I use an app from my phone).
Format: 45 seconds of work, and 15 seconds of recovery, 4 exercises, 4-5 rounds.
There you go....just some ideas to get you going with HIIT training.